Tuesday 20 November 2018

Shut Shops on Boxing Day ?????

So a petition has been doing the rounds calling for all the shops to be closed for Boxing day. I think I have read that it was to give Rail Workers a day off. They have had enough on strikes...lol.

However, as far as I can remember - i'm in my mid 40's now - boxing day was always a shopping day and also we have a threat - the internet! More and more shops keep closing due to the likes of Amazon and other online retailers so closing for a busy retail shop like Boxing day would hit them hard.

But, there is a strong argument - and one I support to a large degree - that there needs to be family time and I feel Sunday trading should be only allowed for small corner shops and the shopping centre like meadow hall and Trafford Centre. That way there will be more family time because I do believe that families are being hurt by a 24/7 / 365 time. In years gone by you worked at saturday it was time and half. You work Sunday it was double time. I agree with those too because if someone is giving up family time which is very precious then it needs to be rewarded but then if these old style pay deals were back in then there would be less business opening on a Sunday. Now Saturday and Sunday are classed just like and equal as a Monday or Tuesday. No they are not kids are off school at weekends.

Back to special days shutting the shops I believe rather than close for Boxing day shops should be closed on New Years day. I always thought that there were 3 days shops had to be closed New Years day, Easter Sunday and Christmas day. 

Here is a link for the petition if you agree but for me I would swap it to New years day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.