Monday 21 October 2019

Donna Hall - dangerous to democracy again

With Donna Hall be in the headlines for running GMP like a private Police Force she ism trying to fight back with trying to put out some article and counter any negativity with a look at me and my article

I guess some PR guru could have suggested that and that is fine maybe not too untypical but what is worrying is some of the content in the article. 

The article in the main talks about people being turned off from voting and engaging with democracy. I would agree with that sentiment and view. With low turnouts, I would believe that is also self-evident. When it comes to topics on Democracy I am a strong follower and that is one of the reasons I support Cllr Steve Jones when Donna Hall tried to illegally sack him. That story is here 

With that High Court Case in the back of the mind, it is worrying that in Donna Hall's article she states, and I quote - " We have to trial and test new and exciting models of democracy. " WHAT ON EARTH!!!!!! 

This is not only a shocking and worrying statement but also a dangerous one. Why? Simple! It is the people that should change not the system. Democracy has worked and been around for thousands of years and you have the people should have a democratic right to vote in and vote out who you want. Maybe when Donna Hall is talking of mending a shattered society with a new model of democracy maybe she is referring to sack elected members - of whatever political persuasion - when she or others like her don't like them. This was exactly what she tried to do when she tried, and lost monumentally, in the High Court when she tried to sack Cllr Steve Jones.

I would suggest people are turned off from engaging with democracy because a lot of people think - they are all the same, they are in it for themselves, they don't care about us or nothing ever changes. So where Donna Hall writing for the MJ suggests that new models of democracy should be tried I say NO - the people should change and ultimately the Joe Public have right to elect whoever they want, whether she or others like it or not.

Finally, she and others, need to remember we have freedom  of speech in this country even if we don't like what others say -ie \I don't like what she says in this article she has written, but I  understand that it is her right to write it, and I set out in this blog post why it is dangerous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.