Tuesday 29 January 2019

Wigan Council never learn... Special Needs


Many will remember the highly aclaimed and respected school in Standish at Boars Head - Mere Oaks. It was a school that everyone in Wigan supported - apart from Labour Cllrs that voted to close it of course.

Parents formed a camapign group to save it from closure and whilst they kept it open longer the Council got their way and closed it and sold the land off for development. The council got millions for the land and get massive Council Tax every year from the houses on there as they are in the top banding.

I was pleased to be able to be part of that Save Mere Oaks group and support them where I could. Years after, I still talk with many of the parents and some of the children that went to the school and it was a great to see how Mere Oaks supported them and how they achieved great things after Mere oaks. On a negative note I saw and heard horror stories how some of the children that were moved and moved again after Mere Oaks closed. Those children education suffered and there was a generation of children were effected. It was not only their education that suffered but their lives as well. Moving school is hard enough but to keep moving for these children is harder.

With Wigan Council looking to mess these children around again and change their Speacial Needs offering it just shows what a huge mistake that was to close the school as they have to keep messing and chaing their offering.

However, you would think Wigan Council would learn and not keep messing with these vulnerable children's education and lives. They need the best support and then keep it but yet again you will see with this link that yet again yes yet again Wigan Council are looking to mess them about again. Shameful!

In the Council's consultation they say they have had amazing support to do this. I doubt that and I actually challenge on this blog here and now to the Council - PROVE YOUR CLAIM! When they closed Mere Oaks School we got over 27,000 names on a petition and took it not only to the Town Hall but also Downing Street.



I am now in contact with some parents and looking at what we should do next? It maybe to put a group response into Wigan Council's consulation and to include stop messing with these children's lives and it maybe that a new group is formed to fight their changes.

One thing I remember was I  was invited to Mere Oaks last sports day and it was a great occassion celebrating all what the school and children had achieved - with parents and suporters. But one of the children came up to me and as he knew I was a Cllr he asked me to do one thing. He said tell them Cllrs that closed our school we will never forgive them and we want you (meaning me) to never let them forget it! I  promised him that and I will honour that promise for ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.